Prof. Hironori Washizaki, currently serving as 1st Vice President of the IEEE CS, has been voted IEEE Computer Society 2024 president-elect and 2025 president. Here are his comments on the election result.
Thanks for the support and encouragement during the election. Moreover, it was my great honor to go through the election campaign with such a great, passionate opponent. Let’s unite and work together for the benefit of humanity through fostering technological innovation and excellence in computer and information processing science and technology. I am genuinely excited and have a great honor to work with IEEE Computer Society members, related people, and entities by overseeing IEEE CS programs and operations and leading future directions in the year ahead. Particularly, as stated in my position statement, I envision and will lead moving forward the following aligned with IEEE CS’s strategic goals and themes:
- Promoting CS membership to get more engagement, especially for students and early-career industrial/academia professionals.
- Expanding academia-industry-government-society collaborations across other IEEE societies and external entities.
- Enhancing activities that define and promote bodies of knowledge and related professional activities.
- Strengthening digital open science and environments.
Once again, thanks for the support, and let’s work together!
Prof. Dr. Hironori Washizaki is running for IEEE Computer Society President-Elect 2024. Hironori is a Professor and the Associate Dean of the Research Promotion Division at Waseda University in Tokyo, and a Visiting Professor at the National Institute of Informatics. He also works in industry as Outside Directors of SYSTEM INFORMATION and eXmotion. Hironori currently serves as IEEE Computer Society 1st Vice President 2023. He has been on CS Board of Governors since 2021. He was awarded Golden Core Member and Distinguished Contributor from IEEE CS. He is leading professional and educational activities, including development of the Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge (SWEBOK), educational courses, and certification programs. He serves as Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing (TETC), Steering Committee Member of the IEEE CSEE&T, and Advisory Committee Member of the IEEE CS COMPSAC. He is a Professional Member of IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu. He has served as the program chair of multiple IEEE conferences, including ICST, CSEE&T, and SIoT/SISA of COMPSAC. He had been the Chair of IEEE CS Japan Chapter.
I am currenly leading directions of IEEE-CS as its 1st Vice President, and now running for IEEE Computer Society President-Elect 2024. The election will close on 12:00pm EDT, 11 September, 2023. Please consider your vote!
To continuously develop a human-centered, digitalized, engineerable, sustainable, well-being world, IEEE CS must play critical roles in the global digitalization and intelligent computing movement. Towards this direction, I have led future strategic directions of CS, redefined the systems and software engineering disciplines, and re-organized professional and educational activities by serving as the CS 1st Vice President and the Professional and Educational Activities Board Engineering Disciplines Chair, IPSJ-SIGSE Chair, and ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC7/WG20 Convenor.
I have spearheaded the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge (SWEBOK) Guide evolution, standardized bodies of knowledge and certifications, and organized educational courses. I have played key roles in leading research, education, and collaborations involving new and interdisciplinary technical areas, including Machine Learning Software Engineering. I have worked to expand the membership, such as COMPSAC/CSEE&T/APSEC Committee Member.
If elected, based on these experiences, (1) I will promote CS membership to get more engagement, especially for students and early-career industrial/academia professionals, by establishing strategic directions and aligning cross-committee activities with them to lead initiatives of continuous membership support and certification program redefinition, education course expansion, early-career professional activities’ promotion, and job-matching opportunity expansion. Furthermore, I will lead initiatives of the membership ecosystem by adopting a CS ambassador program and enhancing mentoring opportunities, as well as developing the CS’s brand awareness of broad ages, including K-12 to seniors. These contribute to CS’s Goal 1: Engage more students and early career professionals.
For example, I plan to lead launching ambassador program and enhancing mentoring opportunities, as well as developing the CS’s brand awareness of broad ages, including juniors as follows.
(2) I will expand academia-industry-government-society collaborations across other IEEE societies and external entities by leading the development of CS’s strategic long-term future directions and expanding opportunities for exploring gland challenges and promoting research outcomes as well as digital special interest group opportunities. These contribute to CS’s Goal 2: Engage more industry individuals and organizations.
(3) I will enhance activities that define and promote bodies of knowledge and related professional activities to build a solid foundation for further digitalization and smart computing involving new technical areas to develop a human-centered engineerable, and sustainable well-being world. These contribute to CS’S Goal 3: Lead the way in new technical areas.
For example, the following figure shows my vision in terms of how the physical world shall be enhanced by fully digitalized ResearchVerse as well as an executable knowledge-based digital open science such as open standards, open access, open data, and open source.
And (4) I will strengthen digital open science and environments such as providing remote conference and community building facility supports, reducing barriers to digital libraries and conferences, enriching online courses, and accelerating related standardization to handle the current difficult circumstances with much more geographic, gender, generation diversity and inclusion. These contribute to CS’s strategic themes.
The opinions on this page are mine and are not necessarily those of the IEEE Computer Society or the IEEE.
Hironori Washizaki is a Professor and the Associate Dean of the Research Promotion Division at Waseda University in Tokyo and a Visiting Professor at the National Institute of Informatics. He also works in the industry as Outside Directors of SYSTEM INFORMATION and eXmotion.
IEEE activities: Hironori currently serves as 1st Vice President of the IEEE CS to lead its activities and future directions. He has been on CS BoG since 2021. He has led professional and educational activities, including the evolution of the Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge (SWEBOK) and organizing educational courses and certifications at the CS Professional and Educational Activities Board (PEAB). He was awarded Golden Core Member, Distinguished Contributor, and Spirit of the Computer Society Award from CS. He serves as Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing (TETC), Steering Committee Member of the IEEE Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T), and Advisory Committee Member of the IEEE CS flagship conference COMPSAC. He is a Professional Member of IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu. He has been the general chair and program chair of multiple IEEE conferences, including ICST, CSEE&T, and SIoT/SISA of COMPSAC. Additionally, he has been the Chair of the CS Japan Chapter.
Research and Contribution: Hironori’s research interests include systems and software engineering. He received his Ph.D. in information and computer science from Waseda University in 2003. He has published more than 200 research papers in refereed international journals and conferences, including IEEE Computer, IEEE IoT-J, TETC, EMSE, SCICO, ICSE, and ASE. He has led many academia-industry joint research and large-funded projects in software design, reuse, traceability, and quality assurance. Recent achievements include IoT design patterns published in IoT-J 2020 and Machine Learning Design Patterns in Computer 2022. He is leading a professional IoT/AI education project called SmartSE. Since 2015, he has been the Convenor of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC7/WG20 to standardize bodies of knowledge and certifications, and leading adoptions of CS products SWEBOK and Software Engineering Competency Model (SWECOM) into standards.
Selected Publications (All Publications):
- Hironori Washizaki, Foutse Khomh, Yann-Gael Gueheneuc, Hironori Takeuchi, Naotake Natori, Takuo Doi, Satoshi Okuda, “Software Engineering Design Patterns for Machine Learning Applications,” IEEE Computer, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 30-39, 2022.
- Eduardo B. Fernandez, Hironori Washizaki, Nobukazu Yoshioka, Takao Okubo, “The design of secure IoT applications using patterns: State of the art and directions for research,” Internet of Things; Engineering Cyber Physical Human Systems, Vol. 15-16, Elsevier, pp. 1-25, 2021.
- Hironori Washizaki, Shinpei Ogata, Atsuo Hazeyama, Takao Okubo, Eduardo B. Fernandez, Nobukazu Yoshioka, “Landscape of Architecture and Design Patterns for IoT Systems,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 7, No. 10, pp.10091 – 10101, 2020
- Naohiko Tsuda, Hironori Washizaki, Kiyoshi Honda, Hidenori Nakai, Yoshiaki Fukazawa, Motoei Azuma, Toshihiro Komiyama, Tadashi Nakano, Hirotsugu Suzuki, Sumie Morita, Katsue Kojima, Akiyoshi Hando, “WSQF: Comprehensive Software Quality Evaluation Framework and Benchmark based on the SQuaRE,” Proceedings of the 41st ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2019), SEIP Track, pp. 1-10, Montreal, QC, Canada, 25 May – 31 May 2019.
- Mohab Aly, Foutse Khomh, Yann-Gaël Guéhéneuc, Hironori Washizaki, Soumaya Yacout, “Is Fragmentation a Threat to the Success of Internet of Things?”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 472 – 487, 2019.
- Hironori Washizaki, Yann-Gael Gueheneuc, Foutse Khomh, “ProMeTA: A Taxonomy for Program Metamodels in Program Reverse Engineering,” Empirical Software Engineering (EMSE) journal, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 2323-2358, 2018.
- Ryosuke Ishizue, Kazunori Sakamoto, Hironori Washizaki, Yoshiaki Fukazawa, “PVC: Visualizing Memory Space on Web Browsers for C Novices,” 49th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2018), pp. 245-250, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, February 21st – 24th, 2018.
- Yusuke Sunaga, Hironori Washizaki, Katsuhiko Kakehi, Yoshiaki Fukazawa, Shoso Yamato, and Masashi Okubo, “Relation between Combinations of Personal Characteristic Types and Educational Effectiveness for a Controlled Project-based Learning Course,” IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, Vol.5, No.1, pp.69-76, 2016.
- E-mail: washizaki [at] waseda.jp
- CV: As of 22nd Sep 2021, As of 23 Aug 2018
- Twitter: @Hiro_Washi
- Facebook: hironori.washizaki
- Publications: All (1999-)
- Waseda Researcher DB: WASHIZAKI, Hironori (鷲崎弘宜)
- researchmap: Hironori Wahizaki (鷲崎弘宜)
- Wikipedia: 鷲崎弘宜
- DBLP: Hironori Washizaki
- Google Scholar: Hironori Washizaki
- Pure, Scopus & Elsevier Fingerprint: Hironori Washizaki
- KAKEN: Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research Database: Hironori Washizaki
- research-er.jp: 鷲崎弘宜
- Current Board/organizing committee member in 2023-2024
- IEEE Computer Society, President-Elect 2024
- IEEE Computer Society, 1st Vice President 2023
- IEEE Computer Society, Board of Governors (BoG) member 2021-2023
- International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Editor (SCIE Indexed)
- ISO/IEC/JTC1 SC7/WG20, Convenor
- CSEE&T, Steering Committee Member
- APSEC, Steering Committee Member
- IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu (IEEE–HKN), Professional Member
- IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing (TETC), Associate Editor
- COMPSAC, Advisory Committee Member
- Education Sciences, Editorial Board Member
- Software, Editorial Board member
- Applied Computing and Informatics, Editorial Board member
- Frontiers in Computer Science, Associate Editor
- International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering Research Council, Member
- COMPSAC/SIoT 2022-2024, Symposium Co-Chair
- ICSEA 2021-2023, Steering Committee Member
- SEKE 2010-2023, Asia Liaison
- 情報処理学会ソフトウエア工学研究会 IPSJ-SIGSE, 主査 2021-2024
- JST CREST 信頼されるAIシステム, 領域アドバイザ 2021-2025
- IEEE ICET 2021-2023 Advisory Chair
- IEEE CSEE&T 2023 General Chair
- 日本ソフトウェア科学会 論文賞選考委員
- DSA 2023 General Chair
- SPLC 2023 Publication Chair
- IC4E 2023 Conference Advisory Chair
- APSEC 2024 Education track Co-Chair
- 2015-2017 法務省 民事局戸籍システム検討ワーキンググループ 委員
- 2017-2019 法務省 法制審議会戸籍部会 幹事
- 2019 経済産業省 デジタルプラットフォーム構築事業システムガバナンスの在り方検討会 委員
- 2019 経済産業省 DXを促進するためのシステムガバナンスに関する有識者会議 委員
- 2020 経済産業省 デジタルトランスフォーメーションの加速に向けた研究会 委員、WG1 座長
- 2021-2023 厚生労働省 技術審査委員
- 2021-2022 法務省 法制審議会戸籍部会 幹事
- 2021-2022 経済産業省 デジタル産業への変革に向けた研究会 委員
- 2022 日本学術振興会 特別研究員等審査会審査員
- 科学研究費助成事業 審査委員
- Recent Board/organizing committee member in the past: IEEE CS Japan Chapter Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. APSEC 2007 Publicity Chair, CSEE&T 2015 Publicity Chair, IEICE Trans. Info. Sys. Editor (SCIE Indexded), Heliyon Editor (Elsevier), AsianPLoP 2016 Co-Chair, AsianPLoP 2017 Local Co-Chair, ICST 2017 Co-Program Chair, SEKE2010-2022 Asia Liaison, PPAP 2016-2017 Organizer, CSEE&T 2017 PC Co-Chair, DEPEND 2016-2017 Steering Committee Member, FASSI 2016-2019 Steering Committee Member, VALID 2016-2019 Steering Committee Member, APSEC 2018 PC Co-Chair, COMPSAC 2018 Local Chair, WESPr-18 Organizer, COMPSAC/SISA 2019 PC Co-Chair, IEEE Computer Society Professional & Educational Activities Board Ad Hoc Committee Chair, IEEE Computer Society Membership at Large for the Professional and Educational Activities Board (PEAB), IEEE Computer Society SWEBOK Steering Group Member, IEEE CS Japan Chapter vice-chair, SEMAT Japan Chapter Chair, IPSJ SamurAI Coding Director, Journal of Software and Systems Special Issue on Software Engineering Education and Training Guest Editor, AsianPLoP’19 General Chair, ISEC 2019 Workshop Co-Chair, AsianPLoP 2020 General Co-Chair, IEEE ICPC 2020 Programming Education Track PC Co-Chair, SCAM 2020 Engineering Track PC Co-Chair, iMLSE 2021 Co-Organizer, MODELS 2021 Industry/Exhibition Co-Chair, ICTAI 2021 Area Chair, HICSS/CSEE&T 2022 Mini-Track Chair, COMPSAC/SIoT 2020-2022 Symposium Co-Chair, IEEE ICET 2021-2022 Advisory Co-Chair, ICTEM 2022 Advisory Co-Chair, ACM SIGSCOFT Influential Educator Award selection committee member, APSEC 2022 General Chair, ICSEA 2021-2022 Steering Committee Member, 情報処理学会ソフトウエア工学研究会 主査 2021-2024, JST CREST 信頼されるAIシステム 領域アドバイザ 2021-2025, IEEE Computer Society Vice President for Professional and Educational Activities (PEAB) 2021-2022, ICETM 2022 Advisory Co-Chair, APSEC 2022 General Chair, APSEDEI 2022 Organizer
- Recent PC member:
- 2015: EPIA 2015 IIS Track, BICT 2015 Special Track, ICIST 2015 Special session, PROMISE 2015, QuASoQ 2015, SOFTENG 2015
- 2016: ICISA2016, PlatCon-16, SPLC 2016 Software Industry Track, ICST 2016 Research Track, SOFTENG 2016, PROFES 2016, InCULT 2016, QuASoC 2016,
- 2017: ICSE 2017 Poster Track, XP 2017 Research, IEEE Mobile Cloud 2017, SPLC 2017 Industry Track, SEKE 2017, SOFTENG 2017, Profes 2017, ICECCS 2017, PROMISE 2017, QuASoQ 2017, ICC3 2017,
- 2018: ICSE 2018 Poster Track, SOFTENG 2018, XP 2018 Research, SEKE 2018, InSTA 2016-2018, VVIoT 2018, SPLC 2018 Industry Track, ICECCS 2018, CSEE&T2018, JCKBSE2018, SugarloafPLoP 2018, ScalCom 2018, IWSECC 2018, PROMISE 2018, IEEE TALE 2018, PROFES 2018,
- 2019: ASPAI’19, SIGCSE’19 International Committee, PlatCon-19, ICSEA 2018, Big Data & Data Science, HICSS-52 (2019), XP2019, SOFTENG 2019, QuASoQ 2018, ICSSP 2019, SEKE 2019, IEEE Mobile Cloud 2019, ScalCom 2019, CSAE 2019, VVIoT 2019, InSTA 2019, PESARO 2019, ALLDATA 2019, SPLC 2019 Industry Track, IISA 2019, ICBICC 2019, CLOUD COMPUTING 2019, ARES/IWSSEC 2019, ISSTA 2019 Tool Demonstration, PROMISE 2019, ICSEC 2019, PROFES 2019, CIT&DS 2019, ICFL 2019, ICECCS 2019, FASSI 2019, VALID 2019, QuASoQ 2019, KEOD 2019, SERP4IoT 2019, EASEAI 2019, Internetware 2019, ICC3 2019, TALE 2019, APSEC 2019,
- 2020: ICSE 2020 Poster Track, SIGCSE’20 International Committee, ICSE 2020 SEIP Track, CSEE&T 2020, ICSE 2020 Artifact Evaluation Track, MobileCloud 2020, XP 2020, SEKE 2020, SNPD 2020, KEOD 2020, InSTA 2020, XP 2020 Agile Sustainability Workshop, SERP4IoT 2020, ICECCS 2020, SPLC 2020 Industry Track, PROMISE 2020, IEEE MCSoC 2020, EASEAI 2020, APSEC 2020, TALE 2020, PROFES 2020, IIAI AAI 2020, IEEE BigDataSE 2020, QuASoQ 2020, SEKE 2020, DASA’20, 3ICT 2020, iMLSE 2020,
- 2021: ICSE JSEET 2021, SIGCSE 2021 Panel Track, ICPC 2021 Education Track, ScalCom 2020, MET 2021, ScalCom 2021, ICSSP/ICGSE 2021, IEEE MobileCloud 2021, XP 2021, SERP4IoT 2021, InSTA 2021, KEOD 2021, SPLC 2021 Industry Track, SSEBIM 2021, Agile Sustainability Workshop at XP2021, APSEC 2021, APCCAS 2021, PROFES 2021, QuaSoQ 2021, IEEE IISA 2021, ASE 2021 Artifact Evaluation, CITDS 2021, ICTAI 2021, ICSEC 2021, TALE 2021
- 2022: ICECCS 2022, SIGCSE 2022 Global Committee, SIGCSE TS 2022 Experience Reports and Tools (ERT), SIGCSE 2022 Poster Track, MET 2022, ICSSP 2022, SEKE 2022, EDUNINE 2022, SERP4IoT 2022, XP 2022, SPLC 2022 Industry, KEOD 2022, EASE 2022, IIAI AAI 2022, XP 2022 Agile Sustainability, IEEE MCSoc 2022, ESEC/FSE 2022 Industry Track, SCAM 2022 Engineering Track, IEEE IISA 2022, EASE 2022 Industry Track, EASEAI 2022, TALE 2022, ICSEA 2022, PlatCom 2022, PROFES 2022, PLoP 2022, QuaSoQ 2022
- 2023: ICSE 2023 SEET, MET 2023, SIGCSE 2023 Global Committee, EDUNINE 2023, SEKE 2023, ICSSP 2023, ICECCS 2023, EASE 2023 Industry, InSTA 2023, KEOD 2023, XP 2023, SPLC 2023 Research, SPLC 2023 Industry, SERP4IoT 2023, ScalCom 2023, IIAI AAI SBIT 2023, IEEE McSoC 2023, IEEE Mobile Cloud 2023, APSEC 2023, IEEE TALE 2023, SCAM 2023 Engineering Track, QRS 2023, QuaSoQ 2023
- 2024: ICSE 2024 SEET, ESEC/FSE 2024 Industry Track, InSTA 2024, SERP4IoT 2024
- 国内活動: 情報処理学会ソフトウェア工学研究会監事, 情報処理学会全国大会2017 プログラム副委員長, 情報処理学会ソフトウェアエンジニアリングシンポジウム SES2006-2017 プログラム委員、SES2017 ローカル委員長、日本ソフトウェア科学会ソフトウェア工学の基礎ワークショップFOSE2008-2017 プログラム委員、FOSE2008共同プログラム委員長、日科技連SQiP研究会運営小委員会委員長・副委員長、同研究会演習コース主査、情報処理学会論文誌元編集委員、コンピュータソフトウェア誌編集委員、品質 編集委員、元大学入試センター試験作問委員、IPA SECジャーナル論文賞選考委員、日本ソフトウェア科学会理事、しごと能力研究学会理事、特定非営利活動法人 トップエスイー教育センター理事、アプリ甲子園 審査委員、IoTイノベーションチャレンジ 審査委員、情報処理学会 代表会員 2021年度
鷲崎 弘宜（わしざき ひろのり）
早稲田大学 研究推進部 副部長、早稲田大学グローバルソフトウェアエンジニアリング研究所所長、早稲田大学理工学術院基幹理工学部情報理工学科教授、国立情報学研究所客員教授、株式会社システム情報 取締役（監査等委員）、株式会社エクスモーション 社外取締役。1976年生まれ。99年早稲田大学理工学部情報学科卒業、01年同大学院理工学研究科情報科学専攻修士前期課程修了、03年博士後期課程修了、博士（情報科学）。02年同大学助手、04年国立情報学研究所助手。05年総合研究大学院大学助手。07年同研究所助教、および、同大学助教。08年早稲田大学理工学術院准教授、および、国立情報学研究所客員准教授。文部科学省社会人教育事業enPiT-Proスマートエスイー事業責任者。15年Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal客員滞在。16年早稲田大学教授。ソフトウェア、コンピュータプログラム、情報システムの研究、教育、社会実装に従事。他の活動にACM-ICPC 2014 Asia Regional Tokyo Contest Director、IEEE CS Japan Chapter Chair/Vice-Chair、SEMAT Japan Chapter Chair、IPSJ SamurAI Coding Director、ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC7/WG20 Convenor、日科技連SQiP研究会運営小委員会委員長・副委員長、同研究会演習コース主査、I. J. Soft. Eng. & Know. Eng.、IEICE Trans. Info & Sys., Heliyon、情報処理学会論文誌、コンピュータソフトウェア誌、品質誌 各論文誌編集委員、大学入試センター試験作問委員、IPA SECジャーナル論文賞選考委員、法務省戸籍システムWG委員、日本ソフトウェア科学会理事、SPAQu’07-09・AsisanPLoP’10・IEEE ICST 2017・IEEE CSEE&T 2017・APSEC 2018 PC Chair, AsianPLoP’11・14-15 General Chair, ASE’06 workshop co-chair, APSEC’07・ASE’12・CSEE&T’15・BICT 2015 publicity chair, SEKE’10-17 Asia liaison, MAPLE・SCALE’13・PPAP’16 organizer, SPLC’13・IEEE COMPSAC 2018 Local Chair. 情報処理学会シニア会員。04年日本ソフトウェア科学会高橋奨励賞、06年情報処理学会SES2006優秀論文賞、08年情報処理学会山下記念研究賞、08年船井情報科学奨励賞、08年日経品質管理文献賞（対象文献執筆分担者）、09年テスト技術者振興協会善吾賞、FIT2009船井ベストペーパー賞、14年IWESEP 2014 Best Poster Award、16年 APSCIT Computer Research Contribution Award、17年 日本工学教育協会 工学教育賞、17年 日本国際賞 後席にて天皇皇后両陛下へ研究紹介、早稲田大学2017年度リサーチアワード＆ティーチングアワード総長賞ダブル受賞（大学初）、17年情報処理学会SES2017 インタラクティブ特別賞、17年Int. J. Soft. Eng. & Know. Eng. Most Read Articles, 18年Int. J. Soft. Eng. & Know. Eng. Most Read Articles。