In below, I review the last year’s resolution 2019 and describe New Year’s Resolution 2020 in terms of Projects, Achievements, Community and Professional Contributions, and Team Organization. Japanese version is also available.
2019: 15 projects incl. SmartSE and SE4BS. 12 journal papers, 24 int’l conf. papers and posters, 2 magazine articles, 1 book, and 44 talks. COMPSAC/SISA’19 PC Co-Chair, AsianPLoP’19 General Chair, IEEE CS PEAB Engineering Discipline Chair, IEEE CS Tokyo/Japan Chapter Chair, APSEC Steering Committee Member, Society for Research on Work Competency Director, and COMPSAC Advisory Committee Member, and associate editors of IEEE Trans. Emerging Topics in Computing, IJSEKE and Heliyon. Associate Dean of Research Promotion Division of Waseda University. Continuation: Outside Directors of SYSTEM INFORMATION and eXmotion.
2020: 15+ funded projects, 7+ journals, 20+ int’l conf. papers. SISA’20 PC Co-Chair, AsianPLoP’20 General Chair. Smart SE consortium research WG. SE4BS outreach. Continuation: Associate Dean of Research Promotion Division of Waseda U., Outside Directors of SYSTEM INFORMATION and eXmotion. Leading SWEBOK V4 evolution project.
2019: We successfully conducted the following 8 projects including Smart SE and SE4BS in 2019. In addition, we continued 7+ industrial funded projects with industrial partners. We extended our international research connections incl. Florida Atlantic University, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Concordia University and Hillside Group.
- Smart SE: Smart Systems and Services innovative professional Education program 2017- (funded by MEXT Education Network for Practical Information Technologies: enPiT-Pro): Establishing advanced and practical education program and related research collaboration network in the area of AI, IoT and business involving 5000+ companies. 30 engineers took the program. 25,000+ registered themselves to the online course. We also provided a part of the program to professional engineers at Kanazawa and companies Hitachi and NEC.
- GQM-RG: Goal-oriented Qualitative/Quantitative Measurement and Management Research Group 2013-: Applied and extension researches on GQM+Strategies and related approaches. We prepared a new research WG (starting on 2020 Jan) on Business Strategies and Requirements at the Smart SE consortium.
- CSPM: Cloud Security and Privacy knowledge Metamodel 2015-2019 (funded by SCAT): Developing common metamodel for representing and organizing knowledge of security, privacy and transparency in cloud, fog and IoT computing.
- TraceANY 2016-2021 (funded by JSPS KAKENHI: Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)): Tracing any software artifacts at any abstraction levels based on common metamodels including Program Metamodel TAxonomy (ProMeTA).
- Waseda Software Quality Benchmark 2015- (funded by IPA/SEC RISE: Research Initiative on Advanced Software Engineering): SQuaRE-based comprehensive quality evaluation of software products. Its achievement has been presented at ICSE 2019 SEIP.
- G7 Programming Learning Summit 2016- and Regional ICT Club 2018-2019 (funded by MIC): We wrapped up the IoT programming education program for kids in Ota yard and Sayama city. In relation, we published a book about Computational Thinking for Kids.
- Software Engineering for Business and Society (SE4BS): We started new project to establish a methodology in Digital Transformation era to link society, business, software engineering and related disciplines including design thinking.
- Software Engineering and IoT/Machine Learning (funded by JST and TTC): We joined JST QAML project to research on ML engineering practices and processes. We investigated state-of-the-art of IoT, AI and systems and software engineering supported by TTC. In relation, we invited two professors Prof. Yann and Prof. Foutse to conduct joint research on Software Engineering ML patterns and other related topics including empirical software engineering for software design and architecture. We also had an exchange student to proceed with IoT and Software Engineering.
2020: We will make this year with significant advance by continuing and expanding all of the above-mentioned 8 projects in 2020. Especially, we will more proceed with Smart SE research WG, Programming Education Project, SE4BS, and SE and ML/IoT. Also we will continue 7+ industrial funded projects with industrial partners.
Achievements* (List of publications)
2019: We published 12 papers for good or prestigious journals including IEEE Access, IEEE IoT Journal and Springer TPLoP. We presented 23 international conference and workshop papers (incl. 1 at CORE Rank A* conference, 3 at Rank A, 3 at Rank B, and 2 at Rank C), 1 international conference poster, 2 magazine articles, 1 book, and 44 talks incl. 1 keynote. Our activities have been reported so frequently in many news medias including Nikkei News Paper.
We received awards incl. IWESEP Best Paper Award, IMS Japan Award, Japan e-Learning Award and IPSJ-SIGSE Excellent Research Award. On 1st Jan 2019, Prof. Washizaki stated that we aimed to publish 7 journal papers (incl. 4+ international) and 20 international conference and workshop papers (3+ at CORE Rank A/A* and 5+ at Rank B). We successfully achieved the goal of number of papers stated. Of course, we believe we can do better and more in 2020.
2020: Having the similar but extended clear vision stating that “smart systems and software engineering for people and society by connecting AI, IoT and software engineering”, we will push forward with research on smart, novel and actionable software and systems engineering methods and tools based on well-defined and validated theory to contribute to software and systems engineering industry and academia in collaboration with 10+ local and global partners. We continue to acquire large funds. We aim to publish impactful papers at better places: at least 7 journal papers (incl. 4+ international) and 20 international conference papers (3+ at CORE Rank A/A* and 5+ at Rank B/C). Many of our research achievements in the form of methods, practices and tools shall be continuously used and produce actual values through our local and global partners.
Community and Professional Contributions
2019: Thanks to many collaborators and supporters, we hosted and/or organized various conferences and meetings including AsianPLoP 2019, COMPSAC/SISA 2019, ET Robocon 2019 Tokyo Regional Contest, XP Matsuri 2019, Programming/IT Camps at Waseda with Life is Tech, and IPSJ SamurAI Coding 2018-19. For these events, Prof. Washizaki played key roles such as PC Co-Chair of COMPSAC/SISA 2019 and General Chair of AsianPLoP 2019 to contribute to the outer world and expand our network. Prof. Washizaki continued to serve as ISO/IEC/JTC1 SC7/WG20 Convenor, IEEE CS PEAB Engineering Discipline Chair, CSEE&T Steering Committee Member, IEEE CS Tokyo/Japan Chapter Chair, APSEC Steering Committee Member, Society for Research on Work Competency Director, COMPSAC Advisory Committee Member, Associate Dean of Research Promotion Division of Waseda University, Outside Director of SYSTEM INFORMATION CO., LTD., Outside Director of eXmotion Co., Ltd., Technical Adviser of GAIO TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd., and associate editors of IEEE Trans. Emerging Topics in Computing (TETC), International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (IJSEKE) and Heliyon. In addition, Prof. Washizaki initiated SWEBOK V4 evolution project.
2020: We will host and/or organize various conferences and meetings including AsianPLoP 2020, IEEE COMPSAC/SISA 2020, ET Robocon 2020 Tokyo Regional Contest and IPSJ SamurAI Coding 2019-20. For these events, Prof. Washizaki will play key roles such as PC Co-Chair of COMPSAC/SISA 2020 and General Chair of AsianPLoP 2020 to contribute to the outer world and expand our network. Prof. Washizaki continue to serve as ISO/IEC/JTC1 SC7/WG20 Convenor, IEEE CS PEAB ED Chair, APSEC Steering Committee Member, CSEE&T Steering Committee Member, Society for Research on Work Competency Director, Associate Dean of Research Promotion Division of Waseda University, Outside Director of SYSTEM INFORMATION CO., LTD., Outside Director of eXmotion Co., Ltd., Technical Adviser of GAIO TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd., leader of SWEBOK V4 evolution, and associate editors of TETC, IJSEKE and Heliyon.
2019: We had new international exchange student from Canada in 2019.
2020: Like last year, we expect some new students coming from various countries. Our team is growing and having more diversity in national origins, backgrounds and mindsets. Such diversity contributes to our team in various aspects such as creativity to advance the above-mentioned projects and professional contributions.
January 1st, 2020
Associate Dean of Research Promotion Division, Waseda University.
Professor and Director of Global Software Engineering Laboratory, Waseda University
Visiting Professor, National Institute of Informatics
Outside Director, SYSTEM INFORMATION CO., LTD.
Outside Director, eXmotion Co., Ltd.
Technical Adviser, GAIO TECHNOLOGY Co., Ltd.